Monday, August 2, 2010

The Banister!!!

Finally Done!! (ok it's been done for awhile, but I hid the camera so Harrison couldn't get to it. And I couldn't find it. Until he brought it to me today.)

I'm pretty happy with how it came out. We stripped and stained the top part and then painted the bottom part. The surrounding area really needs to be painted a slightly darker color because it looks pretty stark although better than the sea of white it was before.

I don't know if I recommend anyone take on a banister. Let's just say it takes a LONG time. So if you have free time and you like polyurethane, give it a go.

Step One-White White White...and some tape.

Step Two--somehow get all that paint off the top of the banister...in pieces...started with me and some eco friendly gooey stripper, ended with Cory taking them off and sanding them down in the garage. It's nice when you can say--I can't do this, can you???
Then we painted. That part was actually a pretty fun late night project.
DONE-stained and put back together. YAY!! I promise it matches better than it looks in this pic--the lighting just messes it up.
Banister!!!

For my next project I've decided to take on a bit of a beast. I've got an OLD OLD bedroom set that has been handed down to me and has been hanging out in the garage. I thought about painting it white but decided that would be defaming an "heirloom" so I'm going to try to stain and fix it up and see how it goes. It's super old fashioned and not in the best of shape, but I think it could come out cool in the end.

Here's the vanity after a little bit of sanding.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment